On the Air and Laughing: Meekings a Joy to Behold: Reflective Entry - 11am, Saturday, 27th May 2017

On the Air and Laughing: 
Meekings a Joy to Behold: Reflective Entry 
- 11am, Saturday, 27th May 2017


A bundle of joy personified by the beaming presence of Joy Meekings enriched our library for the launch of our seventh series of "An Author for All Seasons" on Saturday, 27th May 2017.
With a smile, a warmth and a humility concealing a life less than ordinary, Joy let it all burst open and run free with poetic antics, radio comedy and a vibrant recount of how she came to be a writer. But enough from us, let's hear from Joy.....








"I was delighted to be asked to participate in Mentone Public Library's series: An Author for All Seasons .
Organised by Julia Reichstein, the series and my talk was launched by City of Kingston councillors Geoff Gledhill and Tamsin Bearsley. 



Julia was wonderful to work with, as I have never done anything like this before so needed much guidance!  Her hard work, energy and her capacity for answering all of my questions was just fantastic.  



Members of Joy's writers group and choir look on with pride for their friend Joy. Also pictured in front row with blue scarf is Councillor Rosemary West (Central Ward) City of Kingston
I did a lot of promotion of the event among my friends and also my Writers Group and Choir and Julia did a huge amount of work also, getting local papers involved and through her technology skills was able to promote me and the event so very well.  




We had a full house on the day so that was a thrill......I was nervous at first but had made sure I knew what I wanted to talk about and had rehearsed at home so was able to, I think, make a good presentation.



Councillors Geoff Gledhill (Central Ward) & Tamsin Bearsley (North Ward)
of the City of Kingston prepare to perform in the radio play "Derek's Dilemma"
I also had my play 'Derek's Dilemma' performed using Julia, Tony the Library President, our two attending Councillors and two male members of the audience - it went over very well.  



My poems were also received with much laughter so all in all I had a wonderful experience.  


Thank you to Julia and Tony for asking me, and to Mentone Public Library for putting on this event each month (May-December). 
A great way to promote local writers and the arts......."

Library president Tony and Joy prepare for an encore!


If you missed out on seeing Joy, or did not get enough of her from her appearance at Mentone Public Library, be sure to save yourself a seat at Beaumaris Theatre when bookings open at the end of June to see Joy Meekings' radio plays live on stage for one weekend only in July!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Judy's Open Mic reflection, 24 June 2023

Lover, Husband, Father, Monster and the art of coercive control - Author talk with Graeme and Elsie Johnstone

Lenny Marks Gets Away with Murder Author talk review and Writer Meets Reader promotion